Past lab events and meetings
Fall 2015 (joint meetings with Phono Group)
- Jan 19 Introductions, scheduling, reports on LSA
- Jan 26 Git & GitHub for humanists; DARLA
- Feb 2 Mohammed, Matt - comps
- Feb 16 R data visualization online
- Feb 18 LIN colloquium - Tyler Kendall
- Feb 23 Chenchen, Monica - comps
- Feb 27 GLEAMS
- Mar 1 TBA
- Mar 15 Regression workshop, Ashley H
- Mar 22 Saya comp; updates
- Mar 29 Python workshop; Alex - comps
- Apr 5 - Bethany - experiment; Natasha - poster
- Apr 9 - L&L alumni event
- Apr 12 Gabriela, Alex - Latino lang attitudes
- Apr 15 - MSULC
- Apr 16 - 17 GLEEFUL (Charles Yang)
- Apr 19 - Xiaomei - NACCL practice talk; Mingzhe - diss proposal
- Apr 26 TBA
Fall 2015 (joint meetings with Phono Group)
- Fri Sep 18 Chenchen Xu, Elliott Selkirk.
- Fri Sep 25 Ho-Hsin Huang, Mingzhe Zheng.
- Thur Oct 1 Linguistics colloquium: Anne Curzan (U Michigan)
- Fri Oct 2 Karthik Durvasula, Matt Savage et al.
- Fri Oct 9 Maddie Shellgren, Suzanne Wagner et al.
- Fri Oct 16 Chenchen Xu, Mingzhe Zheng.
- Fri Oct 23 Ho-Hsin et al, Saya Uehara.
- Fri Oct 30 NWAV-goers, Curt Sebastian.
- Fri Nov 6 Monica Nesbitt, Qian Luo.
- Fri Nov 13 Anne-Michelle Tessier.
- Fri Nov 20 Alex Mason, Matt Savage.
- Fri Dec 4 TBA
- Thur Dec 10 Linguistics colloquium: Maya Ravindranath Abtahian (U Rochester).
- Fri Dec 11 Maya Ravindranath Abtahian & Suzanne Wagner
- Tue Jan 13 IHELP production meeting, B-411 Wells, 12:00-1:30pm and subsequent Tuesdays.
- Wed Jan 14 Sociolinguistic perception meeting, B-411 Wells, 2:15pm-3:45pm and every other subsequent Wednesday.
- Mon Jan 19 Walt Wolfram, North Carolina State, U Michigan colloquium, 4:00pm-5.30pm.
- Fri Jan 23 Suzanne Evans Wagner, guest speaker at SOSLAP reading group, 1:00-2:00pm, location TBA. Discussing Meyerhoff & Schleef 2012.
- Tue Feb 3 - Thur Feb 5 Betsy Sneller, University of Pennsylvania, visiting the Sociolinguistics Lab.
- Thur Feb 5 Betsy Sneller, Penn, B-342 Wells Hall, 4:30-6:00pm.
- Fri Feb 6 Lisa Green, UMass Amherst, U Michigan colloquium, 4:00-5:30pm.
- Thur Feb 26 Aline Godfroid, MSU SLS, SOSLAP workshop on mixed modeling, B-443 Wells, 10:00-11:00am.
- Fri Mar 27 Meredith Tamminga, Penn, U Michigan colloquium, 4:00-5:30pm.
- Wed Oct 15 Terry Wiley, Center for Applied Linguistics, B-342 Wells, 4:00-5:30pm.
- Tues Oct 21 Heike Pichler joining LIN 871 Advanced Sociolinguistics, A-236 Wells, 2:00-4:30pm.
- Tues Oct 21 Heike Pichler, Newcastle University, UK. Linguistics Colloquium. Wells Hall B-342, 4:30pm-6:00pm.
- Thu Oct 23- Su Oct 26 New Ways of Analyzing Variation conference, 43, Chicago.
- Thu Nov 13 Tim Hunter, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Linguistics Colloquium. Wells Hall B-342, 4:30pm-6:00pm.
- Thu Nov 20 Kyle Rawlins, Johns Hopkins University. Linguistics Colloquium. Wells Hall B-342, 4:30pm-6:00pm.
- Thu Dec 04 Jennifer Cole, University of Illinois at Urabana-Champaign. Linguistics Colloquium. Wells Hall B-342, 4:30pm-6:00pm.
- Wed June 11 Ashley Hesson dissertation defense, B-342 Wells Hall, 10a-1p
- Thur June 12 Chloe Diskin, University College Dublin, 10a-11a They never really like integrate, like!
- Fri Jan 10 social hour
- Fri Jan 17 no meeting
- Fri Jan 24 Mingzhe Zheng (LIN PhD). Update on sociolinguistic fieldwork in China.
- Thu Jan 30 Sali Tagliamonte, University of Toronto. Linguistics Colloquium talk, B-342 Wells Hall. 4:30pm-6:00pm.
- Fri Feb 02 no meeting
- Thu Feb 13 Suzanne Wagner (MSU Lin) & Maya Ravindranath (U New Hampshire), Social networks in the study of language change. Informal talk to the MSU Faculty Learning Community on Networks and Graphs. Phillips Seminar Room, Snyder-Phillips Hall, 12pm - 2pm.
- Fri Feb 14 no meeting
- Thu Feb 20 Aaron Dinkin, University of Toronto. Linguistics Colloquium talk, B-243 Wells Hall. 4:30pm-6:00pm.
- Fri Feb 28 no meeting
- Fri Mar 14 ** open
- Fri Mar 21 Camelia Suleiman, MSU Arabic
- Fri Mar 28 Gabriela Alfaraz, MSU Spanish
- Fri Apr 04 Daniel Menchik, MSU Sociology
- Fri Apr 11 Michigan State Undergraduate Linguistics Conference (MSULC)
- Fri Apr 18 Ann Kronrod, MSU Advertising POSTPONED UNTIL SUMMER
- Fri Apr 25 Ashley Hesson, practice dissertation defense POSTPONED UNTIL SUMMER
- 9/13- Suzanne Wagner presents "A study of the future tenses in 20th century Montreal French"
- 9/20- Ashley Hesson gives a practice talk for "Patches, pills, and pronouns: Exploring an association between linguistic style and patient race in contraceptive recommendations" (to be presented at ICCH 2013)
- 9/27- Methods workshop (topic TBA)
- 10/4- Suzanne Wagner gives a practice talk for " Retrograde language change and retrograde individuals" (to be presented at NWAV 42)
- 10/11- Ai Taniguchi gives a practice poster for " Isn’t it not cute? Variation in the interpretation of Japanese double negation by age" (to be presented at NWAV 42)
- 10/25- Ashley Hesson presents " Doctor’s Orders: a Study of Mandative Adjective Extraposition in Physician Speech"
- 11/1- Suzanne Wagner discusses her collaborative work-in-progress
- 11/8- Will Rankinen presents a workshop on measuring vowel pivot points
- 11/15- Ann Kronrod introduces "Embodied phonetics"
- 11/22- Qian Luo gives a practice talk on "The social factors of the rising tone merger in Guangzhou Cantonese"
- 12/6- Carmen Ruiz-Sanchez presents "Discourse Functions of Eso in Spanish Semi-Casual Speech"