Lab events (Fall 2018)
You can view past lab events here.
Socio Lab meetings in Fall 2018 are every other Friday, 2:00pm - 3:30pm in B-411 unless otherwise announced on our lab mailing list.
(NOTE the time change from our original 1pm start time earlier this semester.)
Aug 31 Catch up and introductions
Sep 7 Updates on undergrad projects
Sep 21 (1) Fieldwork in rural Clinton County (Jared Kaczor & Travis Coppernoll)
(2) Adverbial low-key (Danielle Brown)
Oct 5 (1) TRAP: The loss of tensing in Michigan (Monica Nesbitt, NWAV practice talk)
Oct 12 Mini-symposium, 1pm - 4:30pm
(1) Derek Denis (U Toronto): Some initial work on an emerging multiethnolect in Toronto English.
(2) NWAV practice talk: Style & attitude: The social evaluation of the BET vowel (Matt Savage & Alex Mason)
(3) NWAV practice talk: On the relationship between vowel nasalization and nasal weakening: Evidence from a Caribbean and non-Caribbean dialect of Spanish (Silvina Bongiovanni)
(4) NWAV practice talk: It’s a TRAP!: The trigger for the Elsewhere Shift in Lansing, Michigan (Alex Mason)
Oct 26 (1) NWAV debrief
(2) Attitudes toward TRAP in Michigan (Monica Nesbitt, practice talk for conference)
Nov 9 Sharing new software and methods learned at NWAV workshops
Nov 16 TBA - slots open!
Nov 30 (1) Becky Roeder, visiting scholar
Dec 7 TBA - slots open!